Tuesday

Sell design clients on the feeling of the space

When I bought my new home a couple of years ago, I visualized what every inch of space would look like after I put my special touch on the place. Paint colors, furniture, storage, each and every picture on the walls. I especially loved my new living room, flooded with sunlight from the east-facing windows and skylights. I imagined how comforted and invigorated I would feel every morning when I sat in there with a hot cup of coffee, the light bouncing off of the delicious chocolate brown walls.

I’d sold myself on the feeling – the experience – of being in the space. And as creative professionals, the feeling - the experience - is what we should be selling to our clients. We begin our preliminary design and construction meeting asking clients what they want, how they want the space to look, and how the want to experience the space. We do visual studies to invoke a reaction or a decision. We spend a significant amount of time with them before the project begins to find out how the client feels.

Selling the feeling and the experience should continue throughout the entire design and construction process. Keep the final outcome at the forefront of your mind, your client’s mind, and in the agenda of every meeting.

How do you keep your client focused on the final outcome of the project?

No comments: